tuirgin

Letters from a Lost Uncle
Mervyn Peake
Wonderbook: The Illustrated Guide to Creating Imaginative Fiction
Jeff VanderMeer, Jeremy Zerfoss, John Coulthart

The Penelopiad: The Myth of Penelope and Odysseus (Myths, The)

The Penelopiad: The Myth of Penelope and Odysseus (Myths, The) - Margaret Atwood In The Penelopiad Margaret Atwood gives us a satirical view of the events of The Odyssey. Penelope and her twelve hanged maids speak to us from Hades in our own time, which allows the author to present her work with the convenience of modern perspectives on sex, class, and the gods. The tone remains light and unlabored throughout, even while implicating the patriarchal values of the Homeric world. Penelope speaks from her position as an elite woman, burdened beneath the role her society has forced upon her, while the hanged maids expose the raw inequality suffered by female servants. That Atwood is a gifted writer is obvious, however The Penelopiad seems a rather short and fast work on these themes. I could imagine them drawn out and explored in much greater detail, though perhaps not while maintaining the lightness of tone. The chorus sections, those of the hanged maids, provide a verse burlesque complimenting and contrasting against the prose of Penelope. These chapters provide a welcome counterpoint, and often heighten the impact of the satire. But the verses, themselves, sometimes seem unpolished and dashed off. The Penelopiad is a slight novel by a great writer, and perhaps re-reading will reveal the novel as something grander and richer than petite four that it appears to be.